2010年2月25日 星期四

Dropbox, AFP and the Olympics

One of my favorite phrases in tech, after "really simple" is "just works." Here's a story of some stuff that took about five minutes to hook together, and of course as you must have guessed, it "just works."


If you recall, we have an experimental feed of photos from Agence France-Presse. They are available through the River2 aggregator, which in addition to being a news reader is also a podcatcher and a photo-catcher. It's all really simple, I just use RSS and enclosures as we do for podcasting, and it all "just works."


Another thing that "just works" is Dropbox. It's such a great product. I keep thinking of new uses for it. I had a thought last night, wondering if there was a way to allow everyone to have access to one of my folders so I could flow pictures from the Olympics, for the next few days, out through the web. I poked around the site and found they planned for this.


So here's a folder that's updated as pictures are available, with photos from the Olympics.


http://r2.ly/z2fk


It's got a long url, so I shortened it (hint to Dropbox, it might be nice if these had shorter URLs).


You may see some pics with question marks, that's because my machine is still synching up with Dropbox. Refresh the page, it should clear.


PS: I really hope Google doesn't buy Dropbox, but I fear they will. :-(


http://bit.ly/c4SVf4